Non-EU citizen

Residence Permit Bulgaria

What is a residence permit?

While a visa is required for a foreign person to enter the territory of Bulgaria, a residence permit must be obtained subsequent to the entry, in case this person is willing to stay in Bulgaria for more than 90 days.

There are various types of residence permits, depending on the purposes of stay and a differentiated regime applies to EU and non-EU citizens.

Address registration

In case you are not EU or EEA member state national, upon arriving in Bulgaria you must fill in an address registration form and submit it to the local police office. In case you are staying at a hotel, you will be reported to the local police station by the hotel landlord.

When do you need a residence permit? 

You must obtain a residence permit in case you are willing to stay in Bulgaria for more than 90 days. It grants you with the right to stay in the territory of Bulgaria within the term its validity.

There are four types of residence permits, depending on the term of their validity:

  • Short-term residence permit – for up to 90 days on the grounds of a valid international passport (see HERE) and, in some cases, short-term visa (see HERE);
  • Continuous residence permit – for up to one year;
  • Long-term residence permit – for up to five years, where this term may be extended in case the foreigner has resided for 5 years in Bulgaria without interruption;
  • Permanent residence permit – for an indefinite period of time;

Where to apply?

You shall submit your application to “Migration” Directorate at the Ministry of Interior.

What are the required documents?

The set of documents that must be enclosed to you application varies depending on the grounds for your stay. We at Work in Bulgaria can assist you with the preparation of this document, as well as with the obtaining and preparation of other documents that need to be enclosed to your application. Be advised that in some cases a Visa D is also needed (see HERE).

Term for issuing  

The permit is issued within no less 14 working days, depending on the complexity of the case.

How much will it cost?

The statuory fee for long-term residence permit is 125 EUR for up to 6 months and 250 EUR for up to one year. The fee for continuous and permanent residence permit is 500 EUR.

ID cards

Upon obtaining a continuous residence permit, you will receive Personal Number of Foreigner (PNF). The PNF is required in many cases, including for taxation purposes.

The PNF also appears on the Bulgarian ID card, which is your identity document. It is issued within 3 to 30 days, depending on the statuory fee that you have paid (between EUR 23 and EUR 113).

Family reunification

Your family members (spouse and children under 18 years of age) may obtain residence permit on the grounds of your residence permit via Family reunification procedure. They shall first obtain Visa D (see HERE), then file an application for residence permit at Migration Directorate.

This type of residence permit does not entitle your relatives to work in Bulgaria. If they wish to do so, they must obtain a work permit (see HERE ).

EU Blue Card

An EU Blue card is a permit which grants highly qualified non-EU citizens the right to work and reside in the European Union. For more information about the advantages of EU Blue card, as well as the requirements, documents and terms for its issuance see HERE.